Best Skin Care Routine For Dry Sensitive Skin
In general, sensitive skin refers to the skin condition that easily breaks out in rashes, gets blotchy red, burns or stings. What causes the reactions may be a response to products or weather. Dermatologists suggest if the cause is not from a serious allergy or disease, you may very well, be the cause. Frequently changing skin care products that contain irritating ingredients can be one cause.
How to Clean Dry Sensitive Skin
- Make sure to wash your face at night. Clogged pores can result in irritation, inflammation and break outs.
For dry sensitive skin, it's best to clean your face properly once a day, and before bed is the best time.
- Wash your face with a gentle dry skin lotion cleanser that is soap and sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) free. These harsh ingredients can lead to further irritation and dryness. Soap ingredients (even in some sensitive skin brands) can remove natural needed oils from your skin.
- If you're using the right cleanser, your skin should feel soft and not dry. If after washing, your skin feels tight, irritated and dryer, change cleansers.
- Besides SLS, also avoid cleansers with fragrance, alcohol, parabens and antimicrobial ingredients, such as Triclosan. Antimicrobials and fragrances can cause further irritation and dryness.
How to Choose Dry Sensitive Skin Moisturizer
Choosing the right gentle moisturizer free of harsh ingredients is very important for hydration as well as your health.
- Moisturize within 3 minutes of washing your face. Apply at night after washing your face and in the morning after rinsing. At night, use a richer night cream moisturizer.
- Opt for cream or oil, instead of lotions. Glycerin and dimethicone in creams draw water into the surface skin layer and are beneficial ingredients.
- Anti aging ingredients such as retinols and salicylic acid may be irritating to your sensitive skin and should be avoided. Fragrances are also irritating to sensitive skin. Always test a small amount of any new product on the inside of your wrist and cover with a bandage. Wait 24-48 hours for any negative reaction.
- Moisturizers marketed as 'natural' that contain plant extracts and essential oils, may also have irritating side effects and should not be what to look for.
- Shea butter in face creams can be soothing to dry sensitive skin.
- Help prevent and repair fine lines and motivate new collagen production with sodium hyaluronate in your moisturizer.
- For very dry skin, emu oil has many benefits. It has no side effects, moisturizes by penetrating without a greasy feel and has anti aging properties. However, it's important to choose brands with the seal of the American Emu Association on them. The seal assures the product has been properly purified by the strict AEA guidelines.
- Weekly use of a facial mask with Kaolin clay to help add nutrients to your skin is helpful. Your skin will feel soft and smooth.
- Use lip balm with shea butter. Apply before lipstick or lip gloss.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to help hydrate your skin from inside out.
Ingredients to use:
- shea butter
Ingredients to avoid: